Tuesday 15 March 2011

Maybe you could be the one

penguin warning, look under your vehicles for penguinsJob for the afternoon: go into the loft to get the seed collection down for a special task. It had occurred to me that I have stored 4 year's worth of conker collection in the loft for when we win the lottery and buy 1000 acres, then I can put 1 conker tree every 50 yards all around the outside of the estate. Bud has been keeping seeds from the garden in order to create an instant 50 acre bee garden at the same time and we now have a loftful. Amazingly, we have steadfastly failed to win the lottery and stored seed only has a certain lifespan before it ceases to be viable: all the effort put into the collection is ultimately pointless.
seed collection, airtight containers
So I thought, why don't I plant them all in that area of reclaimed land in front of Ben's house? Bud can wield the spade and I can put a conker and an acorn/other tree seed in each hole, and we can work our way across the field.
millenium seed bank, sacks of seedAlso, I can scatter all those flower seeds and make a bee garden there. That way BensMum can look out of her window at all the flowers and go aah, because that's what women do, and I can plant a huge long wiggly line of conker trees to make a rude word that can only be seen on Google Earth, because that's what naughty boys do.
So Bud shoved me up into the loft and I got all the boxes down. Then Ben turned up to collect his Lion and the drawing he did last week and together we opened all the seed pots and put them all into some big bags to make them easier to carry (not including about half an acre of poppy seed that went on the carpet). Ben wondered if he could help plant them. BensMum wondered if anyone else might want to, I think they're cooking up ideas again. 
Bag contents:
TREES
FLOWERS
PINE   (3 TYPES)
ROSES
RUE
MAPLE
APPLE
POPPY
MORNING GLORY
CHERRY  (3 TYPES)
HONESTY
GRAPE
LOQUAT
YEW
MARIGOLD
CRESS, ONION
HOLLY
BEECH
GOJI
BEETROOT
ACORN    (2 TYPES) 
NASTURTIUM
VIOLET
BAY
PEAR
IRIS
LETTUCE
NUT    (2 TYPES)
AMARYLLIS
MUSTARD
CONKERS     (548)
MELON
RADISH
EVERGREENS FROM PARK
DAISY
FOXGLOVE
I think the 548 conkers may be a problem. I'll pick the 100 fattest ones out and do the rest on a different excursion. Jof says the flowers will never work but if just 1% of them grow.....it'll be enough to get us in the local paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.