Sunday 23 January 2011

A ship so big it's got planes in it

hms warrior ironclad in portsmouth harbour, tourist attractionBud got me up at 830. It was obvious from his green face and erratic movements that he didn't want to (something to do with the pub crawl with the PuddleDaddies) and to help me wake up he set the fire alarm off by cooking a sausage sandwich. Met the JoniBobs outside a little after 9 and we all stood waiting at the bus stop for ages in the cold. JoniBobsdad was a little green of face as well. Eventually the bus came and took us to the dockyard where we joined a queue and Ben arrived on his bike and joined us. The queue was very long indeed and an hour later we got to the front and boarded the HMS Ark Royal which is an aircraft carrier that's going to be thrown away or sold to another country and this was our last chance to see it. While the queue was long and slow it did give us all the chance to investigate loads of cool stuff like a pack of investigating wolves and we climbed on cannons, big sculptures of girlies with big chests, signs saying keep off and so forth.
HMS Ark Royal, decommissioned aircraft carrierArk royal Ship's bellWe saw lots and lots of ships of all sizes and then got to the carrier which is so big it had helicopters and trucks on it. I played with the machine guns and the ammo belts and I dinged the ships' bell and I went in the crew quarters and played with the firehose reel and saw the armed guards and stood right on the edge of the bit where the planes take off and climbed up the flagpole a bit and borrowed Johnny's binoculars and Bud took 81 pictures. The queue went all the way through the ship and round the runway and only actually stopped when you got off again down the other gangplank.
crew line-up at the exit gangplank, tidal jettyThen we went to a shop and I pulled over the display of keyrings so we ran away. We went into another shop (no children under 12) and I headed straight for a display of Russian war medals and pulled it over. Bud had to carry me round the shop so I didn't destroy anything else and then he banged my head on the lamp. In the end he found what he was looking for and bought seven bullets of various calibres. He wanted to buy the guns and little cannons and stuff but it was all too much money. By this time the PuddleDaddies' tummies were rumbling a lot so we went down to the pub for lunch (past the queue which now went all the way back to the Gosport ferry)  where we all had chips and most of us had fish fingers or similar. At the end of the meal we all hid under the table because it always annoys the adults. Ben had to go to a party so off he went and we met up with the JoniBobs again at the bus stop. We all came back to ours because they forgot to take their bikes yesterday so we spent some more time doing metal detecting and treasure hunting and brandishing swords at each other, the usual stuff. At 3pm the Daddies started going on about quiet time so after 6 fun-filled hours they went home and I watched Robin Hood again.
I really really miss my friends, when can I see them again?
Because there were so many pictures of this expedition I have opened a special page for it, under "meet the team"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.