Sunday 30 January 2011

A roundelay in Arundel

concrete bunker pill box outpost by hayling island golf clubWell, no. It was lucky Jof checked the leaflet from Arundel Castle and found it doesn't open until April. It was a great plan to go somewhere as a family (instead of just the supermarket) but we were thwarted.
sand dunes and marram grass, hayling islandSo mostly we bimbled around doing small jobs but you can't spend the whole day hoovering and laundrying so we decided on a backup plan - Hayling Island on the ferry. We finally made it for the 3pm sailing and wandered along the beach made of shells and threw rocks into the sea (we do this so much I wonder if we've thrown the same rock in more than once). Hayling has some quality sand dunes so we played hide-and-seek in the same places as 2 years ago.
This new purple plaster is better than the old temporary one: it's properly solid so when I fell flat on my face twice running to hide in the sand dunes I just got up and carried on: it's smoother so I can get shirtsleeves and coat sleeves over it so you'd be hard pushed to notice I'm wearing a plaster: and it's lighter so I don't have to use the sling. I can recommend it to anyone.
sand bar outside langstone harbour at low tideThe tide was just coming in but it was still low enough to walk out on the lengthy sandbars that stick right out into the sea. We found many horse hoof-prints and there were hot and cold running dogs. Then a forced route march back to the ferry to make sure we got it (yes, we could have spent an hour in the pub if we'd missed it) and a welcome sofa at home. Before casting off, the ferry driver climbed onto the outside of the boat out of sight of the passengers and people on shore. I was looking out of the window when he unzipped and urinated copiously over the side, I announced this to the passengers, all of whom had bikes. I guess if you're a ferryman, the sea is your toilet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.