Sunday, 29 November 2015

The Victorian Festival of Christmas: Day 3

victorian festival of christmas portsmouth historic dockyardGosh, I don't know what it must be like at home, so quiet and boring without the benefit of my radiance. Anyway, I know the drill now so Jof got me up quietly and we snuck around in silence and the roads were deserted again apart from the wind, and there was a lot of it.
victorian festival of christmas portsmouth dockyardThe dockyard is quite an exposed place for wind and we were gusted and buffeted all day, surrounded by all these punters with coats. But we had our nethers protected with thermal undies, cheeky attitudes and winning smiles, although we don't have traditional 19th century dentistry, in that we actually have teeth.
We did many performances with sessions of between 1 and 2 1/2 hours and there were many breaks as well. During one break I came up with the ruse of taking off my hat, looking penniless yet appealing and asking for money to buy food, please don't send me back up the chimbleys 'cos my lungs are all shot through, and all of a sudden, coinage of the realm started to arrive.
My co-sweepers joined in and between us, we scavenged £3.90 from the adoring crowd and Sweeper Leader took it to buy sweeties for us all.
In another break I positioned myself at the corner of Snowy Lane and started the old 'Come this way, Ladies and Gentlemen, much better stalls through 'ere, best shops in all of Pompey' and you know, I could get to like this street theatre lark.
During the day I saw Poppy C, Daniel from Gymnastics and Caitlin and Bo from school and it was all rather fun.
At one point I boisterously decided to try a new food item from a land far far away, it is called a Cornish Pasty. It was really nice but quite peppery so I need to wash it down with liquid.
Speaking of strong drink, I have technically lost an entire weekend, much like the man who loses a battle with a case of 12-year-old Glenfiddich.  When I got home I was exceedingly grubby and laughed at my own face in the mirror. I also didn't need supper because of the total pig-out earlier. I got paid with a giant chocolate coin nearly 4 inches across, but it won't go in the bank for a more secure future as I ate it in the car.
I do not have any pictures of today's performances but they're broadly the same as yesterday anyway. So I have added some supporting incidentals and associated evidence about the day. Here is HMS Warrior with a massive christmas tree of lights on its rigging. Here also is the seafront this afternoon with effects of the wind that was blowing me to shreds all day. And at the top, the banner from one of the food stalls.
It has been tiring, these 9 and 10 hour days. But worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.