Saturday 24 August 2013

Victorious!

hms warrior portsmouth historic dockyardThis day was so hectic I shall have to embroider it tomorrow.
However I can tell you that I have pegged it as my second-best day ever and here are some of the highlights.
MINE HUNTING. Action Stations was our first port of call after the initial stalls where I promised I'd buy a bath fizzer later. I detected mines in a sandpit using only a paintbrush and I think the heavily tattooed soldier thought he had a new recruit until I said I'd never be a soldier due to the risk of being shot dead.
MISSILE ATTACK. Bud bought one of those fold-up army spades for our beach work. It will be much better than the trowel we use now. There's a place upstairs where 2 GPMGs or similar are mounted in front of a large screen and you play the role of machine gunner at the side of a Type 23 ship. Helicopters and missiles come at you and you have to destroy them. We killed one of each.
large queue to get on nelsons flagshipHELICOPTER SIMULATION. A nice if shouty lady flies you and some hostages down a winding ravine to escape the nasty people with AK47s. I loved it but one of our number suddenly got very very seasick, a condition which persisted for at least 5 hours.
HMS VICTORY. The queue for this museum exhibit was so long we gave up.
anchor in front of hms victory portsmouth historic dockyardHMS DARING/WARRIOR. I like this ship. I particularly like going below sea level and counting the plastic rats which abound thereupon. I always call it HMS Daring because that's what's printed on my shirt. We missed the 1400 harbour tour.
While he had Spanish sausage inna bun, Jof and I had a proper sit-down meal of fish'n'chips. That's when we met the PuddleParents, who had ditched the kids to go and replenish their stocks of Vitamin Beer. Ex-Puddler Hannah was there but I missed her. This picture is included to prove that it's not just me that sticks my tongue out while moving in mysterious ways.
Then we braved the endless queue at HMS Victory and saw it all. It's smaller, older and more brutal than the Warrior and I liked the leg irons and the barrels and the guns and knives and the low head height doorways and the massive blocks of wood holding it all together. It's not bad for 250 years old.
Outside I brushed up on my circus skills. From there the shops beckoned and I got a blue top with Royal Navy on it and after tea and cake we looked through the gun shop at the guns and knives and Hitler memorabilia and shells (both sea and artillery) and paintings and diamond rings and vintage toys and all of it is overpriced if rather good.
I got a reproduction medal and will have to buy a new shirt to display it on. We discover that our German Iron Cross medal (second class) is probably worth about £100.
royal navy top and headphones in disco environment
I bought my bath fizzer and Jof got 3 handbags to add to her collection, we may have to buy a bigger house so she can have a handbag room.
I watched some buskers perform their own songs on guitar and bongos.
This time we got on the harbour tour (last sailing of the day) and saw a banana boat (England eats 49 million bananas every 3 days) and an American nuclear submarine and some destroyers that really need a paint job and lots of the navy ships I've been on and an Omani training vessel and a Police launch and Rat Island and no international ferries at all.
It was very windy on the top deck and my Navy top was pressed into service early.
SILENT DISCO. Erinsmum texted us and we found the PuddleParents in an abandoned concrete warehouse a la 80s rave scene with black lights and a disco ball and expensive beer. The large crowd was silent apart from every now and then sporadic outbursts of singing would catch you unawares. Then the nice lady gave me some headphones and suddenly it all made sense.
low tide in portsmouth harbourThe music came through the headphones so you were in your own little world of music, along with everyone else. It was hilarious. I showed off my dance moves and I believe I pulled that night. But of course if you want to talk to anyone you shout because your brain thinks it's loud in there, even if it isn't. Jof went home but I didn't. We checked out the outside stage where I found Genevieve and Flynn from my old school and we went back to the disco of silence a further twice before catching a bus home for supper. I'd done nearly 9 hours out of the house.
FROZEN DRINK. The big metal drinks canister goes in the freezer for an hour before I go to daycare to keep it fresh. However if you forget it totally, it makes an interesting conversation piece the next day. We took it to the dockyard and it supplied us with ice cold juice throughout the entire day, and very welcome it was too. I didn't have to buy beer once.
BATH FIZZER NIGHT. Double fizzer after a great day. Perhaps this is why I am so attractive to wasps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.