Saturday 3 August 2013

Stand By Your Beds

milton park portsmouthAt last, Grandma and Grandad are coming to see our house! We celebrated by going to the bottlebank and the park. I met Eva, who is a girl from my old class at my old school. She has a freckly nose. We did some decent swinging on the basket: she likes super-death swing-speed and then taught me rocking horse or horse-riding or something equine at least, involving 2 maniacs and a basket.
We met Buds' parents at the Hilton Hotel in Farlington. This is not because any of us were staying or had pots of money. It is an easy meeting place and we travelled on to the Farmhouse Pub/restaurant down the Eastern Road and had lunch. They are most impressed that I have latched onto the Horrid Henry series of books and now that the whole literary world has opened up before me, maybe we'll get some improved copy in this rather pedestrian blog.
The Farmhouse has an attached kiddie area (I went there once for a birthday party with Poppy, but it was many many years ago and I'd practically forgotten the place) with soft play and free video games. While I was in the playzone thing, an unknown entity "Leila" was teaching Jof the big-screen video game which is so good it can see your movements and you can jump and crouch and hit balls and stuff just by jumping, crouching and waving! When my hour was up, I played with Jof who was our resident expert having been thoroughly trained by locum teacher Leila.
boy and grandparentsMeanwhile (they're not as stupid as they look) the rest of them had gone back to our house for the official inspection. They toured the garage. They saw the kitchen. They loved the glass-topped table of curios. The upstairs was a challenge because Grandma is in a wheelchair, and we have thoughtlessly failed to install a stairlift. Carrying the maternal millstone up the stairs was not remotely elegant, but absolutely had to be done - no sense in seeing only half the house. Grandad even went into the loft, because you have to.
Later, Grandma asked me to sing for her, because she had heard me singing to my Lego and she used to be a music teacher in infant schools, so she knows a thing or two about musical abilities in the under-8s. I gave her a medley from the latest school play and then we all agreed that the role of Baddie is the best part to have in any stage or film production.
The overall grades returned by the elderly examiners was a runaway victory on the house and a guarded thumbs-up on the singing. They left just before the football match kicked out, and surfed home on a wave of despondent football fans (Portsmouth 1, Oxford 4).
Saturday night is Bath Fizzer Night.....

1 comment:

  1. Am I allowed to say that Bud Sr is far trendier than Bud Jr?

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.