Monday 26 August 2013

The Wol of Death

portsmouth outdoor activity centreBank Holiday Monday. But did I get a day off? Did I Bantocks. I was turfed out of bed with an 8 in the time and bundled off to the top of the island with only avocado and kiwi to keep me going.
The Portsmouth Watersports Centre does exactly what it says on the tin. By the time we'd reached the front door, we'd counted 8 different types of boat, watercraft or similar, and there were delicious hints of safety harnesses and gung-ho instructors from within. I don't think I'm going to get away with papier mache here.
Once we'd signed in the first thing we got was attacked by Alannah. This naughty but nice high-pitched maniac was in the class next to mine at my old school and our parents had collaborated somewhat to coincide our visits.
portsmouth outdoor center and watersportsBut the instructors split the 22 of us up into groups and our first task was the climbing wall. This mural monstrosity is 10 metres in height, and I made it to 7 metres before my little arms just couldn't reach the next nob. I floated earthwards in delight.
The next one was a giant pole with various handholds and I made it all the way up and took advantage of the harness again by leaping off to no doom at all.
After lunch it was Raftbuilding. I had been pre-warned about this and have made a special effort to study raft construction but today we had set recipes and components. It's like, 3 barrels on each side and 2 lashed poles and a couple of planks for the top. All 3 groups finished building and we all clubbed together to drag them down to the water under the dutiful yet inactive gaze of the instructors.
We had to wear wetsuits that zipped up at the back and it made me feel like a girl, not absolutely sure why, may have been something to do with Stupid Flanders saying "Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all....." but maybe I'll develop one of those special interest dressing-up hobbies in the future.
red sunset through telegraph poles and chimney pots
What does tomorrow promise?

Somehow one of the other team contrived to wedge an oar right in between Barrels 1 and 2 on the LH side and got his wetsuit caught on the pommel - anyway, the lengthy lever split the raft asunder and they all had to sit on the RH side and paddle frantically around in little circles. My team was emergency waterbus rescue and we ferried the survivors to shore past the shark-infested waters and then I made a heartfelt speech and jumped in anyway.
Sounds like an easy day. But I have four more days...
Meanwhile, it was hoovering day and little jobs day at home. The letterbox shines once more. The loft is swept. The garden is strimmed. The chicken was roasted. But true to form, B+Q DIY superstore was tricky. Jof got me a bedside lamp, but the wrong bulbs. And a desk lamp, but the wrong sort. And a doorbell, button only, no actual bell. It is not fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.