Friday 26 April 2013

The day we bought a house

funny wheelbarrow accidentIn a final flurry of paperwork and temporary insurances, we bought a house. And I thought lashing out £120 on a Lego Electric Train was a big payment.
This morning started beautifully. OK, so it was raining, but we have a roof. My chauffeur got me up and  I took time out to awaken Jof. With 10 minutes to spare, we left the house and got snarled up in the traffic jam/car park that is rush hour in downtown Pompey. If you normally travel at 0610, you are unused to the exhaust-fest that is the morning commute. It took us 30 mins to get down the 1 road to YMCA and even then my troubles were not over. It isn't the actual holidays so the venue had moved next door. I was the only one there, even though I was half an hour late.
Only 2 other kids joined me so the teacher-child ratio (1:1) was very favourable. One kid was of indeterminate sex (you know, 12 years old, undecided in style, could go either way) and the other was a very naughty boy (but not the messiah). He stole all our pens, called the footballs 'fluffins' and handled the urinal cakes until he had green fingers.
Next door was swimming at my usual time. But to show you what I'm up against, the slightest change in routine leads to pandemonium. As I was at child-minding not school, I didn't change into my swimming trunks an hour before the lesson to save time as usual. So the trunks were not in my bag. I was in terminal danger of having to swim wearing only a bright yellow cap and goggles, luckily the nice manager lady found some trunks in the lost property. But really.....
So to celebrate spending fifty grand in one day, we scooted to the pub, as you do. Eventually more Puddlers joined us and I played hide the wood-chip with Erin and the JBs and Ben arrived to a fanfare. We made a posse and split up, some playing mobile-phone games, some playing games in the real world while the adults did whatever it is that they do.
Once I had scooted home, I had some quiet Legotime and then I accepted my bedtime fate without argument.

1 comment:

  1. Found your blog today and thought I would read another post. "handled the urinal cakes" That's so odd. They are not to be confused with birthday cakes. Funny post. Also I found the wheel barrow gif worth pinning on pinterest. thanks

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.