Monday 30 March 2015

The Battle of Omdurman

wisconsin snowplough clearing snow off roadWell, in honour of the first day of British Summer Time (when the clocks go forward and the man from the Met Office steals an hour of our lives) I notice that the weather forecast is for even more wind and rain. Thanks.
So for some reason this entire school week is full of tests, in all subjects.
There was a complicated maths test in which the answer had to go in Box A and the second calculation's answer went in Box B and you did various sums and boxed the answers and the real actual final answer was Box G minus the number you first thought of and it's pretty well identical to the inheritance tax form when you apply for Grant of Probate.
For writing you had to make up a god so I invented Omdurman, god of stonework. Very popular with statue-carvers, he is patron saint of masons (both free and monumental) and has the following characteristics.
He hates dynamite because it makes a mess. His hobby is hollowing out vast arenas under Mount Olympus and starting tournaments such as basketball. In one, Zeus chucks a thunderbolt and it pings off the walls like that game 'Pong' in the Science Museum and the first to touch it wins, although they are fried by the thunderbolt so their descendants get the prize money. He also has a drill attached to his forehead for more accurate tunnelling although this does give him a disadvantage in the ID parade when picked up for Drunk and Disorderly. We briefly visited the local church where I do Scouts and we saw their 3-foot candle that they light on good Friday and it lasts until easter Monday.
portsmouth 5th scout group milton st james churchIn Cub Scouts we did "Dangers in the Kitchen" which is fairly similar to "Dangers in the Bedroom" that we did last year but included a wet mop and some pasta boiling over. We also made rice-crispies cakes with little chocolate easter eggs to take home, and my homework is to plan and make a meal. I forgot both so the nice Cub lady delivered it to our door. It was Badge-Fest day, I got 3 more and some of the older Cubs got their silver award which is when you have all 6 triangle badges: I have 4 so far. Everybody seemed to get badges today.
Supper was really nice but I just couldn't quite be bothered so pushed it around a bit and I said I had a tummy-ache which is Standard Excuse #3, the others being It wasn't what I expected and I'm full, with #4 being I do like this food just not this one.
Of course I know the cure is to lie on the sofa for hours watching Spiderman and Hulkman and Metal Bloke beat up Inexplicably Orange Geezer who is Just a Face with Tentacles, and his mouthy cohorts 'Daft as a Brush but with Big Pincers' and 'Enormously Muscular Fish Chap' and 'the one with the high-pitched cackle that doesn't do anything'. But Jof made me go straight to bed without any TV or Minecraft or hope of X-Box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.