Monday 4 February 2013

Yes, Matron

don't know what you're putting in these bottles but keep em comingIn one of my previous incarnations as a boarder at a public school in the 1980's, the Matron (Nurse/housekeeper) used to prowl the corridors in the morning knocking on the study doors to rouse the inmates. Taking into account that the students were mid to late teens, she never barged unannounced into any of the rooms (the  Eric Shun rule), but relied on getting a coherent response from within, at which point she would assume the boy was up and move on to the next acned juvenile. Thus, in the true ways of teens everywhere, they would try to get those vital extra 3 minutes in bed by shouting "Yes, Matron, I'm up" while still asleep, a talent nurtured over years, and well worth the x,000 pounds per year of school fees.
This morning at 5 past 6 when Bud checked on me before leaving the house, I sat up and said "The bed is falling" while still asleep. He remade the destroyed bed for me. This is because I have spent the last 2 nights sleeping at the other end for novelty, where I can't reach the milk or night water, and where the cunningly concealed night light can shine directly into my face.
vehicle damaged in car crash road traffic accidentAll day today, the subject of discussion across the pond is the Souperbowl, a televised event in which teams of stalwart youths at the peak of physical fitness attempt to drink themselves to death on some vast bowl of clam chowder, and Cheerleaders come on at half-time for a display of clam jousting or similar, it's all beyond me. And yet what they're actually talking about is, which was their favourite advert. In England we actively avoid watching the adverts.
At school today I swapped some Lego Ninjago Spinners and came out on top by miles. Either I have some serious negotiating talent or the rest of them are Numpties.
beaver scoutsThe viewers that toured our house at the weekend liked it. They spent some time admiring the Giant Lego Building, who wouldn't. Perhaps they'll buy it. The house I mean, not my Lego, hands off!
On Sunday we saw a big crash at the crossroads and many sirens and flashing lights. One of the stricken cars has been shunted round the corner and was on my way home from school - couldn't avoid a posed photo.
Outside Beavers I had a big surprise. The lady having trouble parking was BensMum and Ben was joining our Beaver troupe! Well, he's just trying it out for a couple of weeks with the rank of Water Vole or Capybara or whatever is trainee Beaver level nowadays. They kept this vital campaign intel from me. We quacked mightily at each other in the street. Inside, I was his helper-mentor-guide but he did get to play with everyone else. We played Duck + Goose but not the beer game Fuzzy Duck. With luck, I should see him again soon.
I'm losing the game of Monopoly. This makes me extremely grumpy, and after I'd laughed my way through my shower, I suddenly remembered I was in a bad mood and stomped off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.