Sunday 19 April 2015

Homework Day

fragments of benghazi cathedral roman bronze urn vesuvius lavaIt is the last day of the holidays so the time was right to do my homework, both for School and Scouts, as both are due in tomorrow.
My Scouts homework was to plan and prepare a meal which I almost did, in that I did all of the cooking and reading of the instructions but I just worked with what I'd been given.
School wanted a piece of researched work on some aspect of Roman life so naturally I chose the Gladius and built a genuine antique Legionaries' short sword out of Lego, and printed off a little burble about it which always looks much shorter when printed than it did when scrawled on the rough paper. In the same way as the camera adds ten pounds, the printer taketh away.
scouts campsite near forest of bere wickham hampshireI hope to offset this inadequacy by doing a show'n'tell. Good old Blind Uncle Len toured north Africa and the Mediterranean with the Desert Rats and other units back in 1942 and picked up a couple of souvenirs, as you do. OK, so some of it was Levantine currency, Nazi bullets, Iron Cross, Spitfire pilots cap badge and the like, but some of it was actual Roman pottery fragments and lava direct from Vesuvius and part of a bronze urn from Leptis Magna, the place near Tripoli where you can see the Roman toilets where the wee and poo is washed away by the incoming tide. So while they're not museum pieces, it's the real deal. There's also a letter of thanks from the Imperial War Museum (been there) when we gave them some of his war diaries etc.
Then I accompanied Jof shopping and was so good she got me a Lego Star Wars Ezra's Speeder Bike.
forest of bere scouting campsiteThis is because Bud was checking out the Scouts campsite where I will be staying in the summer. It's in someone's back garden. But their garden has several paddocks, a forest, tennis courts and cricket pitch, and a completely separate cricket pavilion in an unrelated field which is used by Scouts far and wide because the owners want to make good use of it. There is a special scout campfire site with a circle of logs and enough forest to lose a whole troop in.
Afterwards we went on my run. This was the new improved run which I thought was going to be twice around the park but we left the park and followed the route of the old canal and when we got to the Mad Hospital I burst into tears for the second time, gave up and trudged home in another giant sulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.